We have a ton of exciting website projects with many amazing clients in our pipeline and we need a passionate and talented developer to help us bring them to life.
Opus exists to promote good through purposeful design and development. As such, our clients are truly amazing. We are proud to support mission-driven organizations in the education, nonprofit, and food and beverage sectors and beyond. This means that we carefully select our clients and we partner with organizations that are inspiring, well-intentioned, and passionate about making the world better in some way – big or small.
Lead the team
We are a small team which means you have all the opportunity and authority to lead. We are also nimble so your suggestions and ideas will be implemented quickly. We are growing and we need someone with vision, skills, and drive to take our website development work to the next level. Have ideas for improving efficiency, design workflow, or DevOps processes? We are all ears.
Continued learning & development
We are big on professional development. In order to deliver the needs of our diverse and ever-changing website projects, we need to continue developing skills. You need to be resourceful and nimble, able to wear multiple hats, and multi-task. And, we will support you with a professional development budget to take courses and attend conferences or tuition reimbursement to pursue a degree or certificate.
We are a B Corporation
This means we believe in using business as a force for good. It means that we consistently act in support of our sincere care for the well being of our employees, clients, suppliers, community, and the environment. Accordingly, we offer great benefits, a great team culture, and generous compensation. As B Lab puts it “Certified B Corporations are a new kind of business that balances purpose and profit.” Read about the B corporation certification.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are a certified women-owned business and strongly encourage women, gender diverse people, and minority candidates to apply.
- Front- and back-end development related to custom theming for WordPress and Drupal Themes (90% WordPress)
- Implement design mockups to fully functional themes
- Maintaining and implementing excellent coding standards
- Produce 100% valid, bug-free HTML
- Collaborate with/advise design and UX team
- Collaborate and coordinate with freelance developers, conduct code reviews
- Act as the release engineer using Git
- Deploy websites when ready for launch, coordinate hosting as needed
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Manage all aspects of the development lifecycle
- Manage time and stakeholder expectations by setting and consistently meeting deadlines
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience developing themes, plugins/modules
- Min. of 3 years of experience with custom WordPress theming
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with developing accessible websites
- Advanced Git skills and respective branching strategies
- Ability to customize WordPress with minimal use of plugins
- Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL), data manipulation with SQL-queries
- Superior project management skills, familiarity with Basecamp or similar
- Natural curiosity for emerging trends and technologies, and willingness to learn and share
- Motivated, reliable self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment
- Smart problem-solver, strategic thinker with an ability to “figure stuff out”
- Interest in good design and learning about design
- Knowledge of Adobe XD
- Experience working with education, nonprofit, or food industry
- Experience working with/leading a team of freelance developers
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision insurance, short and long-term disability insurance
- Profit-driven bonus biannually
- 401K matching
- Professional development budget and tuition reimbursement
- Summer and Winter Team Offsites
- Office snacks & treats
- Competitive vacation and holidays
- Christmas holiday break – approx. 1 week in addition to standard vacation time
We can’t wait to hear from you!
Please apply with a cover letter, resume and portfolio sites.
- Andrew: full-stack developer, WordPress expert
- Skadi: UX & digital director, user-testing expert
- Ellery: art director, accessibility expert
- Emily, Casey, Heidi, Kim: web design team
- Levon: brand strategy director
- Lily: creative director, writer
- Julia: creative director, manager
- Amy: bookkeeper, office manager
The developer we are hiring will be closely collaborating with Andrew. Andrew works remotely and the new developer will work mostly on-site. So for this position, we are hoping the developer will become the lead on-site who can also attend occasional in-person client meetings. We are hiring for our Boston location.
We are team of geeks who really care about doing awesome work. We take our work seriously but we also have a lot of fun. We invented "funsponsible". We celebrate birthdays and already had a studio wedding (yup, Opus was the match-maker).
Who we serve:
Opus exists to promote good through purposeful design. We carefully select our clients and only partner with organizations that are inspiring and passionate about making the world better in some way – big or small. While we spend a lot of our time in the Education, Non-Profit, and Food & Beverage sectors, we serve well-intentioned organization of all different sizes across many industries.
What we value:
- Creativity – challenging boundaries, exploring, embracing different approaches
- Curiosity – continuing to learn, asking lots of questions, actively seeking inspiration
- Caring – being human, empathy, owning the well-being of each other and our clients
- Collaboration – not being a diva, craving the exchange of ideas
- Commitment – perseverance, moving forward together, dedicating wholeheartedly
- Productivity – having a bias for action, not being a bottleneck, remaining flexible
All of us at our Boston headquarters work on-site at our bright and inspiring studio in the heart of Cleveland Circle. We understand and support the need, on occasion, to work from home but we value the collaboration that working together in the studio provides.