Modern Tribe’s QA team works on a lot of cool projects: over the past year alone, we’ve tested sites built by our dev team for big-name clients including Stanford Law School, Bon Appetit Magazine, MIT, Harvard Law School + Urban Movie Channel. (Want to see how we did? The links above highlight some of our work). And that’s not even including our family of WordPress plugins led by The Events Calendar.
We’ve got a slew of cool projects on the docket for 2016, and need another member for our QA team. If working on high-profile sites for large clients gets you excited and a serious case of attention to detail is your jam, we should talk.
Details About the QA Gig
QA is responsible for ensuring all aspects of quality at Modern Tribe. It’s a tall order for sure: learning how a site works, creating test plans covering obscure use cases, and then putting it all into practice when testing every aspect of site functionality…it’s a lot of ground to cover. But we’ve got an established workflow down that helps make sure we’re setting the team up with the tools they need to proceed and succeed.Though every project is different, here’s the gist of our QA flow:
- Kickoff meeting. Just a kickoff — meet the PM; get your questions answered; set expectations; and schedule milestones.
- Preparing docs. Getting started with internal documentation early is hugely important to getting the project into your brain.
- Review approved comps. Before you start QA or even get a walkthrough, you’ll review the comps to understand the project + prepare a list of questions to ask on the QA walkthrough.
- QA walkthrough. Once development is far enough along for QA to begin, you’ll do a walkthrough with the lead developer to get an overview of the functionality.
- Prepare QA checklist + test plan. After seeing each component of the site in action, you’ll put together a first draft at a comprehensive QA checklist and a higher-level overview of what you’re planning to test, in what order, and when.
- Heavy duty testing. You’ll put the site through its paces and give it a few rounds of full pass bug hunting. Beyond just hitting buttons, you’ll be thinking from a higher level: are there usability concerns? Does what we’re doing here actually make sense as the best way to solve the problem? etc.
- Celebrating a successful launch. What feels better than kicking back after a successful launch? If QA has done their job, the project will launch smoothly, the team will have a finished product to show off, and — most importantly — the client will be happy. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Our QA team also generally leads client training and prepares training documentation/videos when appropriate, so be prepared for some direct client communication.
The Right Candidate
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a proven track record in Quality Assurance. Automated testing experience is a bonus, but the majority of our QA is manual and requires a heavy degree of hands-on testing. Be prepared to provide examples of past experience.
- Pays meticulous attention to detail + fights for the customer. Being able to catch bugs is huge, but it isn’t everything — QA is most effective when it puts itself in the customer or end user’s shoes.
- Knows WordPress well. It’s tough coming in and having to learn WordPress and our QA systems at the same time. Through a (paid) test project, you’ll be expected to prove your familiarity with the platform.
- Has 1+ year remote freelancing experience. Full-time freelancers are the only candidates we’re looking for at this time; we are not seeking F/T or P/T employees, nor can we work with somebody moonlighting from a full-time gig. And if you haven’t worked remotely before, this probably won’t be a good fit.
- Likes working with a diverse group of awesome people. Since Modern Tribe is an entirely remote company, you’ll work with people from all over the world who you might not cross paths with at a traditional office gig. And when we get together for our yearly team-wide retreat (usually in warm exotic locale where the food is cheap and the wifi is spotty), there’s no telling what types of friendships will emerge once everyone is in the same room.
We’re excited to hear from you! Please include in your application:
- A link to your Linkedin, personal portfolio, or online resume.
- A link to any QA plans that you have written in the past.
- A short sentence about why you want to work with Modern Tribe and how we can help you achieve your goals.
- Details about your WordPress knowledge and any relevant experience doing QA on WordPress projects.
Our hourly rate for this gig starts at $35-$45/hr, depending on experience, with opportunities for rate bumps on annual review.
Since this is a freelance position, you control your schedule and work when you want to. But note that we are looking for team members to have at least 3 hours of overlap each day with the rest of your project team.
About Modern Tribe
Who Are We?
Modern Tribe is a digital agency with a modern twist. We are a product company. We are educators. We are a great mix of freelancers and full timers. All experts. In today’s world, we get to be many things to many people.We believe in making quality products for other people and ourselves, balanced by living quality lives. We are 100% distributed & our team is spread around North America (and a hint beyond).
We believe that you should be happy, helpful, curious & accountable, on top of being good at what you do. We believe life should be lived intentionally. We believe in a class of artisans and craftsman in control of their work who solve people problems rather than just build more shit. We believe in a sustainable vision of open source, and contribute consistently into the ecosystem.