Modern Tribe is looking for a senior Backend Developer with advanced WordPress experience to join our services agency. Do you have a near encyclopedic knowledge of what was included in the last few major WordPress releases? Could you go toe to toe in a WordPress coding standard battle? Do you dream in WordPress functions? We want to meet you!
The Senior WordPress Backend Developer gig at Modern Tribe will offer you the opportunity to become a leader within our tribe. You will be helping to build and inspire an awesome dev team working on innovative and large scale WordPress installations. We are looking for a backend developer that is already actively working in the WordPress website and plugin development field. You need to be up to speed and knowledgeable about the most recent releases and standards of WordPress. We want you to be as excited and as passionate as we are about what we are creating with the platform.
Please note: This is not an entry-level position. Experienced WordPress developers only!
Modern Tribe designs and builds software for fortune 500 companies, government institutions and well funded start-ups. We are also the proprietors of the Events Calendar WordPress plugin suite.
We operate entirely as a distributed company with no central office, though we do have a little hub in Minneapolis. Our company is designed to support our central mission: “Live well and do good work.”
As a senior WordPress backend developer at Modern Tribe, some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Collaborate with the project strategist to articulate the best technological solution for the problem at hand
- Analyze user story acceptance criteria to ensure the technical feasibility and point out potential issues
- Lead a team of developers to make sure we can deliver on time, on budget and on scope
- Architect and develop new backend features and plugins, custom functionality and theme integration
- Write high quality code with readability, efficiency and maintainability in mind
- Develop and maintain complex WordPress-based applications
- Implement complex features using modern PHP code and patterns while following standards
- Code review the work of other developers
- Improve our internal tools, libraries and standards
- Actively participate in our scrum meetings
- Work with the team to diagnose and resolve backend bugs and support requests
- Mentor junior developers
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work with a lot of freelancers as well as distributed employees and coordinate their talents for large projects. Learn more about how our team works, what traits we look for in new team members and more on our careers page.
Work from anywhere in the US or Canada; if you are in Central or South America, let’s talk. This will be a 100% remote position. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY if your working hours are in a timezone outside of the US range as our team will not be able to support those working hours (we’ve tried, it’s just too hard).
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- A methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time, complete tasks in a timely manner, prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Excited to be part of a team with the potential for a long term relationship
- Fluent English speaker
Required Knowledge and Experience
- 5+ years experience working as a backend web developer on production sites
- 3+ years experience working on WordPress sites
- Extensive experience implementing complex WordPress sites
- Skilled at crafting modern PHP
- A comprehensive understanding of what it takes to write secure and performant code
- Thorough knowledge of WordPress, PHP and MySQL
- Ability to work remotely with little-to-no supervision is a must
- Excellent understanding of OOP, software development life cycle and better practices
- Experience working with at least one automated testing framework
- Experience with continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Unit Testing
- Experience with JS application frameworks
- Experience with server technologies like Redis or ElasticSearch
- Remote work experience
Pay range is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is full time position with Modern Tribe.
We believe that distributed working is a way of life. We understand what it means to work remotely. We offer consistency in expectations, payment, and support. We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. Also, be prepared to go on an adventure since all full time team members are asked to attend our annual team trip.
Ready to Apply?
Make sure to select “Backend Developer” from the list of options. BEFORE APPLYING, please take the time to read this job post carefully. So many people seem to apply without actually reading it. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY if your working timezone is opposite of the US range.
With your application, make sure to include the following:
- Links to your resume or LinkedIn profile
- Code samples
- Your favorite WordPress hook or function and why
About Modern Tribe
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work with a lot of freelancers as well as distributed employees and coordinate their talents for large projects. Learn more about how our team works, what traits we look for in new team members and more on ourcareers page.