We’re looking for a talented and experienced freelance digital project manager in North America. We’re a WordPress agency so hopefully you have run some projects with the platform.
If you are drawn to order like a moth to a flame, then drop us a line. If you like maintaining lists and seeing team members make progress because you set them up to succeed, then you are perfect for this gig.
If you are skilled in agile, waterfall and whatever-suits-the-project techniques, then we should talk.
To be transparent, this is NOT a Digital Producer role. We have Strategists that you will be working with as well as UX team members. This gig is about organization and management more than it is about creative input.
Who We Are
Modern Tribe, Inc. is a rapidly growing software & design company. We develop custom solutions for some of the world’s largest companies, government institutions and smaller growing organizations. We pride ourselves on our ability to bridge people and technology and to bring the passion and dedication of an entrepreneur to every project. Our team is composed of talented employees and freelancers around North & South America (and a smattering across the globe).
Who You Are
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work primarily with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be:
Happy: Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other.
Helpful: Always looking for ways that you can help others.
Curious: It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar.
Accountable: Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.
A Freelancer: This means that if you live within the USA, you will also maintain your own personal client list and that Modern Tribe will only comprise a proportion of your total income. Regardless of where you live, you need to be already freelancing.
For this role specifically, you should feel comfortable wrangling a chaotic digital media project into an organized one. You should ask lots of questions and feel a need to. We are hoping you will not just project manage, but understand the project, the business goals and engage in the technology enough to be able to anticipate scope, budget and timeline challenges.
Work from anywhere in North, Central or South America. Please do not apply if your timezone is outside of the US range and if you are not totally fluent in English.
Your primary responsibility is to shepherd the project to success. We pride ourselves on our projects arriving on time, on scope, on budget with a happy team and customer. You will create confidence through organization and oversee communication. To do this, you will need to:
- Manage scope, timeline and budget execution
- Manage expectations for everyone on a project including the team, the account managers, and the customer
- Run scrums and other status meetings
- Review team hours
- Write SOWs
- Review budget
- Set up and maintain tickets in the management system
- Manage collection of assets and information from the customer
- Perform meeting prep, prepare agendas, and handle all follow up
- Produce weekly and monthly summary reports
- Personal Competencies
- Strong communication and/or experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, with a methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Fluent English speaker
- Required Knowledge & Experience
- At least 5 years of experience working as a PM, ideally on a distributed web design / dev team
- Experience with agile and waterfall management styles
- Experience producing large CMS powered websites
- A whiz when it comes to online collaboration tools. You feel at home when we talk about Slack, Google Hangout, Google Docs, Dropbox or any number of online PM tools.
- Experience managing projects with budgets over 100k
- Additional Experience
- Experience with WordPress
- Technical experience as a frontend or backend developer
- Experience with enterprise level web development projects
- Design experience
How to Apply
BEFORE APPLYING, please READ the job post carefully. So many people seem to apply without actually reading it.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY if your working timezone is outside of the US range.
Please apply via our application form. Make sure to include the following:
- A link to your Linkedin or online resume
- A short cover letter, letting us know why Modern Tribe and how we can help you reach your goals.
Please include answers to the following questions. If you don’t end up answering them we probably won’t process your application.
- Are you currently a full-time freelancer? If so, for how long?
- What’s the biggest budget you’ve ever managed?
- What’s the typical budget that you manage?
- How many years have you worked as a Project Manager?
- What hourly rate are you looking for?
- What clients or projects have you managed recently?
- Briefly describe your preferred management style (waterfall, agile, etc)?
- Can you describe what ‘accountability’ means to you in 150 characters or less?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What is your availability?
About Modern Tribe
Who Are We?
Modern Tribe is a digital agency with a modern twist. We are a product company. We are educators. We are a great mix of freelancers and full timers. All experts. In today’s world, we get to be many things to many people.We believe in making quality products for other people and ourselves, balanced by living quality lives. We are 100% distributed & our team is spread around North America (and a hint beyond).
We believe that you should be happy, helpful, curious & accountable, on top of being good at what you do. We believe life should be lived intentionally. We believe in a class of artisans and craftsman in control of their work who solve people problems rather than just build more shit. We believe in a sustainable vision of open source, and contribute consistently into the ecosystem.