Looking to build beautiful and meaningful websites for organizations that matter?
Great Believer is a design agency for nonprofits with a focus on WordPress websites. We’ve recently launched intuitive, inspiring websites for The Fresh Air Fund, School of American Ballet, Project Lyme and Data2X.
We’re looking for a reliable, detail-oriented and ambitious Full-Stack Developer (WordPress) to join our team. In this full-time role, you’ll build, maintain and optimize a range of nonprofit websites – altogether playing a major role in the success of many organizations.
- Build custom WordPress themes that are easy to manage and exact replicas of our designs.
- Maintain a range of WordPress sites by adding new pages and/or functionality, performing plug-in updates, enhancing security and fixing bugs.
- Work alongside our wider network of web developers to keep all projects running smoothly.
- Partner with our design team by sharing UX suggestions and advising on the technical feasibility of their ideas.
- Stay on top of the latest trends in nonprofit technology, including donation systems, e-blast platforms and job portals.
- Interface with our hosting provider (WP Engine) to ensure all hosted sites are secure and high-performing.
- Build genuine relationships with our points of contact at our nonprofit clients.
- 3+ years of WordPress experience, including a solid understanding of PHP/MySQL, core WordPress functions, custom themes, custom post types and effective plugins.
- The ability to write clean front-end code that’s responsive, cross-browser compatible, maintainable, scalable and built from Figma or Sketch design files.
- A familiarity with WCAG accessibility standards.
- Extensive experience working with ACF for CMS customizations.
- An appreciation of the value of git versioning practices.
- Precise attention to detail in reviewing and implementing designs.
- Experience working with Sass as a primary tool for CSS.
- Experience with node build tooling, specifically Gulp (both legacy <3.9 and 4.0+ environments).
- Light DevOps experiences (e.g. you can easily SSH into a server).
Bonus points if you have experience…
- Working with Github Actions for git push deployments.
- Building or maintaining your own starter build.
- Managing other developers
- Doing UX or design.
- Working with Salesforce.
- Working with Google Analytics and/or SEO.
Our team works best with those who are…
- Energized by nonprofits.
- Extremely detail-oriented.
- Excellent communicators.
- Eager to collaborate.
- Easy to get along with.
Benefits and company policy
- All full-time employees are eligible for a flexible paid time off policy, subsidized benefits (medical, dental, vision and life), a 401k program, annual professional development and charity matching.
- The expected salary range for this position is $80,000–$90,000, contingent on expertise and experience.
- We’re open to candidates joining us in NYC once our office reopens or working remotely. Whether you’re in person or remote, you’ll need to be available from 10am–6pm EST each work day.
- Great Believer is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive team with a range of unique perspectives. We strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ and/or gender non-conforming to apply.
About Great Believer
Before Great Believer, we spent our days toiling away corporate clients. Antsy for more meaningful work, we sought out side projects with mission-driven clients – the kind of work we believed in. These projects made us happier and more fulfilled than ever before. At that point, there was no turning back.
We quit our jobs and dove into the nonprofit space, putting us face-to-face with the disconnect between the power of an organization’s mission and the quality of its design. Great Believer was born so nonprofits could spend their valuable time saving the world – and look great while doing it.
Today, Great Believer is a design agency for nonprofits specializing in web, branding and print. Our team of Believers is uniquely talented and relentlessly motivated by nonprofit work, allowing us to achieve inspired results for inspiring organizations.