Cornershop Creative (https://cornershopcreative.com) is seeking an awesome, U.S.-based WordPress developer to join our distributed team.
The core responsibility for this position will be building and styling WordPress-based websites and applications for our non-profit and small business clients. This position will be responsible for things like setting up WordPress custom post types, fields and taxonomies; coding HTML, CSS (SASS), and JS for custom themes; and styling & configuring pre-built WordPress themes for our clients. Additionally, this position may be responsible for developing and maintaining custom plugins.
Our ideal candidate is a hard-working, curious self-starter comfortable working independently with little supervision, but also able to work as part of a team that includes developers and non-developers. Since we’re a distributed shop, you’ll get to work from home! Cool, right?
In a nutshell, we need someone who can take static designs (i.e. PSDs) combined with written functional requirements/specifications and turn them into top-notch WordPress websites. That means the things we’re looking for include:
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 markup and CSS3
- Significant experience with WordPress theming: template hierarchy, hooks, WP_Query, and so on
- Ability to write CSS for cross-browser, responsive design (not just by using Bootstrap)
- Familiarity with current (and evolving) best practices in front-end dev regarding semantics, performance, cross-browser consistency, etc.
- Ability to laugh at our stupid jokes (and the occasional good one)
- Experience with CSS preprocessors & libraries (particularly sass)
- Familiarity with command line tools like git, gulp and wp-cli
- Won’t lose your s#!% if you occasionally get feedback like “can we make the logo bigger?” or “change the padding by 1px,” which may happen despite our best efforts
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment (we keep pretty busy!)
- Ability to “put yourself in someone else’s shoes” by thinking about the client’s and client’s users’ needs
- Ability to review designs and anticipate questions, problems and issues with responsive/interactive elements that may not have been fully considered
- Superb written & oral communication skills
Other stuff we’d love it if you’re good at, but aren’t requirements:
- Photoshop and designing for the web
- Working knowledge of nonprofit CRM tools such as Salsa, Luminate Online, Engaging Networks, Blue State Digital, and Classy
- Making obtuse geek-culture references
- Remembering to un-mute yourself before talking on conference calls
- Being passionate about progressive causes
- Writing bash scripts and performing other devops/Linux sysadmin kinds of stuff
Cornershop Creative is an award-winning online services agency committed to listening carefully to our non-profit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. Our designs are beautiful, and our websites are creative and innovative. Learn more about us at https://cornershopcreative.com/.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your résumé
- A brief cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this opportunity
- Links to work you’ve done that we should see, such as recent websites, git repos, or contributed plugins/modules/themes
- Ideal salary range
U.S. Applicants only!
Please be sure to include all of these items — to save everyone valuable time we’ll throw out incomplete applications. Thanks for understanding.
Cornershop is an equal opportunity employer.
About Cornershop Creative
We’re an award-winning online services company committed to listening carefully to our nonprofit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. If your company or organization needs help with online strategy, design, development, or implementation, we can help.