Cornershop Creative (https://cornershopcreative.com) is seeking an awesome, U.S.-based WordPress developer to join our distributed team.
The core responsibility for this position will be investigating, troubleshooting, and coding solutions for WordPress-based websites and applications for our non-profit and small business clients. The person occupying this role will spend his or her time making iterative changes and bug fixes to design, functionality, and backend improvements of the dozens of websites Cornershop manages and maintains. Tasks may include setting up WordPress custom post types, fields and taxonomies; troubleshooting server errors and migrating sites to hosts; and minor HTML, CSS (SASS), and JS coding for custom themes. Additionally, this position may be responsible for developing and maintaining custom WordPress plugins.
Our ideal candidate is a hard-working, curious troubleshooter comfortable working independently with little supervision, but who also enjoys working as part of a team that includes developers and non-developers. Since we’re a distributed shop, you’ll get to work from home! Cool, right?
Specifically, the things we’re looking for include:
- Experience with receiving potentially vague end-user bug reports, recreating the issues, and diving into the codebase to quickly identify root causes
Significant experience with WordPress theming: template hierarchy, hooks, WP_Query, etc.
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 markup and CSS3
- Ability to write CSS/SASS for cross-browser, responsive design (not just by using Bootstrap)
- Experience managing codebases and deploying websites onto third-party hosts via git, and/or sFTP, making DNS record changes, etc
- Past experience with quickly and effectively maintaining/troubleshooting/supporting code written by other developers
- Familiarity with command line tools like git, gulp and wp-cli
- Ability to laugh at our stupid jokes (and the occasional good one)
- Familiarity with current (and evolving) best practices in front-end dev regarding semantics, performance, cross-browser consistency, etc.
- Ability to not lose your s#!% when you occasionally get feedback like “can we make the logo bigger?” or “change the padding by 1px” (and then getting asked to change it back), which may happen despite our best efforts
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment (we keep pretty busy!) and manage a workload of several projects at a time
- Superb written and oral communication skills
Other stuff we’d love it if you’re good at, but aren’t requirements:
- Working with and customizing BuddyPress
- Troubleshooting mySQL performance issues (and writing performant queries)
- Familiarity with Apache/nginx configuration, tuning and troubleshooting
- Ability to understand and work with common third-party REST APIs
- Develop ingenious scripts to facilitate complicated cross-platform content migrations
- Using Photoshop and understanding challenges in designing for the web
- Working with nonprofit CRM tools such as Salsa, Luminate Online, Engaging Networks, Blue State Digital, and Classy
- Remembering to un-mute yourself before talking on conference calls
- Being passionate about progressive causes
- Writing basic bash scripts and performing other devops/Linux sysadmin kinds of stuff
Cornershop Creative is an award-winning online services agency committed to listening carefully to our non-profit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. Our designs are beautiful, and our websites are creative and innovative. Learn more about us at https://cornershopcreative.com/.
To apply, send an email to [email protected] with the following:
- Your résumé, which should include an indication of which American state you live and work in
- A brief cover letter, explaining why you’re excited about this opportunity
- Links to work you’ve done that we should see, such as recent websites, git repos, or contributed plugins/modules/themes
- Ideal salary range
U.S. Applicants only!
Please be sure to include all of these items — to save everyone valuable time we’ll throw out incomplete applications. Thanks for understanding.
Cornershop is an equal opportunity employer.
About Cornershop Creative
We’re an award-winning online services company committed to listening carefully to our nonprofit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. If your company or organization needs help with online strategy, design, development, or implementation, we can help.