We’re seeking an awesome WordPress developer to join our distributed eight-person team as a part-time contractor, with possibility of full-time on-staff employment in the future.
The core responsibility for this position will be building and styling WordPress-based websites and applications for our non-profit and small business clients. This position will be responsible for things like setting up WordPress custom post types, fields and taxonomies; coding HTML, CSS (SASS), and JS for custom themes; and styling & configuring prebuilt WordPress themes for our clients.
Our ideal candidate is a hard-working, curious self-starter comfortable working independently with little supervision, but also able to work as part of a team that includes developers and non-developers. Since we’re a distributed shop, you’ll get to work from home!
In a nutshell, we need someone who can take static designs (typically PSDs) combined with written functional requirements/specifications and turn them into top-notch WordPress websites. That means the things we’re looking for include:
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 markup and CSS3
- Experience with WordPress theming: template hierarchy, basic hooks, WP_Query, and so on
- CSS for cross-browser, responsive design. Style ALL THE THINGS! (though typically nothing before IE10)
- Familiarity with current (and evolving) best practices in front-end dev for semantics, performance, cross-browser consistency, etc.
- Ability to laugh at our stupid jokes (and the occasional good one)
- Experience with CSS preprocessors & libraries (particularly sass, bourbon & susy)
- Familiarity with command line tools like git, grunt and wp-cli
- Won’t lose your s#!% if you occasionally get feedback like “can we make the logo bigger?” or “change the padding by 1px,” which may happen despite our best efforts
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment (think of an Aaron Sorkin TV show)
- Ability to “put yourself in someone else’s shoes” by thinking about the client’s and client’s customers’ use cases
- Ability to review a static design and anticipate questions, problems and issues with responsive/interactive elements that may not have been fully considered
- Superb written & oral communication skills
- Other stuff we’d love it if you’re good at, but aren’t requirements:
- Photoshop and designing for the web
- Working knowledge of tools such as Salsa, Luminate, and NationBuilder
- Wireframing and UX planning/testing
- Making obtuse geek-culture references
- Remembering to un-mute yourself before talking on conference calls
- A passion for progressive causes
Cornershop Creative is an award-winning online services agency committed to listening carefully to our non-profit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals online. Our designs are beautiful, our websites are creative and innovative, and our copywriting and campaign planning are rock solid. Learn more about us at https://cornershopcreative.com/.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your résumé
- A brief cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this opportunity
- Links to work you’ve done that we should see, such as recent websites or contributed plugins/modules/themes
- Your hourly rate
U.S. Applicants only!
Please be sure to include all of these items – we’ll throw out incomplete applications to save everyone valuable time. Thanks for understanding.
Cornershop is an equal opportunity employer.
About Cornershop Creative
We’re an award-winning online services company committed to listening carefully to our nonprofit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals.
If your company or organization needs help with online strategy, design, development, or implementation, we can help.