At Awana, we believe true change happens in the communities when children and youth are transformed through Biblical discipleship and in the presence of a caring adult. We believe that kids can come to know, love and serve Jesus, following Him for a lifetime. This is why, for almost 70 years, Awana has been working with leaders in local churches in the US and around the world, providing solutions that equip these women and men to make disciples in children and youth.
Today, God is using Awana to reach over 4 million kids in 122 countries around the world. With over 500,000 equipped leaders in 54,000 churches, Awana is able to play a vital role in global evangelism and discipleship of children and youth.
The WordPress Back-End Developer is responsible for technical development of assigned Awana applications in order to provide responsible stewardship and to champion their enhancement. This includes solutioning, hands-on development, code review, and other technical responsibilities pursuant to strongly supporting and building Awana applications.
- Works with the Awana applications development team at a standard reflective of Awana’s heart for mission and customer satisfaction.
- Writes detailed technical and functional specifications documentation for client deliverables.
- Writes and develops code for development tasks and tickets on a regular basis
- Conducts unit tests, code reviews, refactoring of current code. Works with the eCommerce team to assess and improve site performance and security.
- Creates appropriate documentation when necessary.
- Communicates with internal IT teams to resolve technical dependencies and integration points during implementation and troubleshooting.
- Tracks and troubleshoots issues and other problems related to web properties, communicating where necessary with the appropriate staff to ensure that they are addressed in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- Collaborates with project managers, stakeholders, and product owners to ensure the goals and deliverables of the site are met.
- Discovers, masters and shares learnings on emerging technologies and techniques with the development team.
- Actively responds to communications from customers and constituents.
- Participates in team and departmental meetings, periodic reviews of other team members’ work, team brainstorming and annual individual goal setting process.
- Supports, upholds and demonstrates the Awana cultural values in internal and external communications and relationships.
- Performs other related duties as may be required from time to time.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- 3-5 years experience working as a backend web developer on web properties.
- 3+ years experience working on WordPress sites.
- A comprehensive understanding of what it takes to write secure and performant code.
- Ability to plan and prioritize, manage and complete multiple workflow activities on time and within budget.
- Ability to demonstrate superior customer service standards and practices.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency in the following:
- Knowledge of the following:
- Woocommerce administration/development
- Continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Agile methodology and JIRA
- Database performance troubleshooting and data architecture
- Website security tools and best practices
Must be a born-again Christian. Must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Must be in agreement with the Awana Doctrinal Statement. Must be in fellowship with the body of Christ through a local church. Regularly engages in reading the Holy Bible as a guide and standard for living.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and spend a significant portion of the workday performing work using a computer screen and keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job also include close vision.