User Experience (UX) Designers at Alley work shoulder-to-shoulder with product strategists, content experts, and developers to bring the websites of news organizations, research institutions, and large-scale foundations to life. Many of these clients disseminate data and research findings to audiences including the media, policy experts, and issue advocates.
We are looking for a UX Designer who has experience displaying data on the web, ranging from stand-alone static or interactive data visualizations to data-focused microsites. You must exhibit a portfolio that demonstrates your ability to accurately and elegantly communicate data in a manner that facilitates reader understanding.
This role will also involve a significant amount of site design work for large scale publishers. We expect your portfolio to showcase your visual design skills, including the ability to adapt your style to the specific communication and positioning goals of each client.
In addition to these project responsibilities, the UX Designer will support internal initiatives toward establishing best practices for designing for data display and sharing data design knowledge with colleagues. We are looking for a designer who can execute their work independently, but with the support and critique of other team members, particularly developers who build and maintain data-centric websites.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, Black people, indigenous people, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, disabled people, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field. Read our DEI pledge to learn more about how Alley values diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Digest client provided background materials, including datasets; draw conclusions and make recommendations from them.
- Craft wireframes, mood boards, and style tiles that meet clients’ goals and optimize the user experience.
- Present work to technical & non-technical peers and clients, be that verbally or through written annotations.
- Participate in regular design critique sessions and development QA.
- Stay immersed in data design and UX trends, especially as they relate to websites in the publishing and the non-profit sectors.
- Help grow Alley’s data practice by sharing your data design knowledge with interested peers and prospective clients.
- Participate as a member of a cross-functional, stable, remote scrum team.
- You have experience working on web-based data visualizations.
- You know how to investigate a dataset and are comfortable asking questions of researchers and other stakeholders to ensure you fully understand the data provided.
- You’re well versed in different types of charts, maps, and visualizations. You enjoy conversations about why one type of visual is more effective than another for the data that needs to be displayed.
- You’re familiar with the basics of accessible design for data visualization.
- You’re comfortable venturing outside of your own personal style to capture what each client strives to communicate visually.
- You value the opportunity to work collaboratively with strategists and developers.
- You seek feedback from your teammates as well as members of the larger UX Design department during our regular critique sessions.
- You enjoy working with external clients and feel comfortable presenting your work and receiving client feedback.
- Knowing agency life is busy and filled with project and client variety, you thrive in an environment where you are producing work for more than one client at any given time.
- You have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS.
Bonus Points if
- You have worked on large-scale news media, foundation, or think tank websites.
- You have experience working directly with researchers.
- You’ve worked with geographic data on smaller scales, like MSAs.
- You have experience processing data with code.
- You’ve worked with others to help them understand the basics of data visualization and accurate data display.
- Competitive salaries – We recognize several levels of career progression for this role and tie compensation to those levels corresponding to their seniority and experience. We are currently searching for candidates to join us with base salaries starting at $80k, $90k, and $105k. If you consider yourself to be at a higher level, we still encourage you to apply and can discuss additional opportunities with you!
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401k with company matching
- Profit sharing
- Monthly lunch allowance
- Flexible time off policy
- Remote first – We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home or from a co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office or rent you a co-working space.